We have no doubt about how amazing our body’s immune system is in fighting invading bacteria and viruses and restoring us to health following an ailment. Even so, the current conclusions from a study by Cardiff University are positioned to bring an innovative and unforeseen development: stopping cancer in its tracks.
Medical researchers discovered a certain type of immune cell, a T-cell, in our blood, which can scan and eradicate threats – including a wide selection of cancer cells: prostate, colon, kidney, lung, cervical, ovarian, blood, and others. And incredibly, all normal tissue is left unaltered.
The discovered T-cell works in concert with a specific molecule on the surface of every cell throughout our body, known as the MR1 molecule. The theory is that the MR1 is notifying the T-cell of any cancer cell malformations. Garry Dolton, who was a part of the research team, points out, “We are the first to describe a T-cell that finds MR1 in cancer cells – that hasn’t been done before; this is the first of its kind.”
While there is currently a comparable type of therapy, called CAR-T, which has shown remarkable results in bringing patients from a terminal status to complete remission, it is only shown to be successful in certain types of cancer, and not “solid cancers” (those that form tumors). This new breakthrough has shown so far to impact all forms of cancer. Here is how it is projected to work:
- Blood is obtained from an individual diagnosed with cancer.
- The blood is filtered to remove T-cells.
- A particular variety of benign virus is injected into the T-cells, allowing them to pick up on cancer cells.
- These cells are then replicated in a lab, and injected back into the patient.
Studies have been highly effective in animal trials, and with additional safety checks, the next phase is likely to be human trials. According to Daniel Davis, professor of immunology at the University of Manchester, “There is no question that it’s a very exciting discovery, both for advancing our basic knowledge about the immune system and for the possibility of future new medicines.”
As we keep an eye out for more details on this particular breakthrough, you can rely on Generations at Home when it comes to the top quality care for individuals diagnosed with cancer as well as other long-term conditions. Just a few of the many ways we are able to help include:
- Meal planning and preparation, specific to virtually any nutritional constraints or challenges
- Warm and friendly companionship
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Running errands, including picking up medications and grocery shopping
- Transportation to physician appointments/procedures and enjoyable outings
- And a whole lot more
Make the initial step to an improved quality of life for an older adult you love. Give us a call at 727-940-3414 and request an in-home meeting.