Ways to Overcome the Challenges of Medical Tests for Older Adults
There’s often nothing “routine” about a routine checkup. You may arrive to your appointment perfectly fine, but leave with orders for blood work and other medical tests the doctor recommends to keep you as healthy as possible. These tests may be nothing more than a minor inconvenience for you, but for older adults, they can be challenging, for a number of reasons: transportation problems, mobility issues, thinner skin, fragile veins, cognitive difficulties, and more.
There are steps you can take to advocate for an older loved one to manage medical tests more easily. For instance:
- Find out if tests can be performed in the senior’s home. Home health care is becoming an increasingly viable option for blood work and other tests.
- If the person needs to have a test done outside of the home, call ahead to the facility where it will be performed. Find answers to any specific questions you may have about parking, drop-off location, the best time of day to arrange for the test, etc.
- Providing a urine or stool sample can be difficult. Ask the doctor for any recommendations to make the process easier, such as a receptacle to place over the toilet rather than using a cup. Ensure the bathroom floor is clean and dry and that any throw rugs or bathmats are removed, and encourage the person to hold onto a grab bar during the collection process to prevent a fall.
How Can Home Care Help a Senior Who Needs Medical Tests?
An in-home caregiver from Generations at Home can:
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments, tests, and procedures, while assisting with mobility support as needed
- Take notes to ensure doctors’ orders are understood and followed
- Pick up prescriptions and provide medication reminders so that meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help the person to get settled safely back at home afterwards, and provide companionship and oversight to watch for any changes in condition that need to be reported
- And much more
Also, many people feel more comfortable receiving assistance for sensitive medical matters from a trained professional. Our caregivers are skilled in discreet and respectful support with personal care needs, allowing family members to step back and provide the senior with privacy.
Contact us at 727-940-3414 to arrange for the support needed for someone you love. We offer a free in-home consultation to help you understand your options, so call us today!